Altmetric in Primo UX Study
In March 2016, the UX team conducted research with students to understand the value of including an AltMetric badge to the search results on the library’s website.
- What does the term Altmetric mean to students?
- Is there value in adding an Altmetric badge to search results in the library website’s discovery system?
- How do students respond to icons displaying Altmetrics information?
- 7 students (6 undergraduate and 1 graduate) participated in a usability study conducted by the UX team
- Participants were asked to conduct a search on a Primo staging site until they noticed the inclusion of the Altmetric badge
What did we Learn?
- Participants were unfamiliar with the term Altmetric before participating in this study
- Users wanted an optional pop-up box that they could click on to understand what the Altmetric badge was. Participants wanted the explainer written in simple language
- Participants stated that an Altmetric badge on Primo search results would be useful for some users as it highlighted article significance
- Participants who frequently used the library discovery system were more likely to notice the Altmetric badge, while infrequent users did not notice the new icon
- Participants did not find the Altmetric badge visually distracting. They tended to like the size, colouring and location of the badge
- Include Altmetric in the article search results on the library website
- Keep the aesthetics and badge location consistent
- Provide a more detailed description of Altmetric and its purpose
Year of Study: