Library Carrel Furniture Assessment UX Study
In May 2017, the Library's User Experience Team asked students to choose their preferred study carrel from seven different models.
- Which type of carrel did users prefer? Why?
- Seven different types of carrels were displayed on the main floor of the library. We had carrel tables and individual carrels with varying divider heights, colours (dark brown or blonde), and lighting options.
- We conducted 22 brief interviews with users who were already using the carrels or those who were passing by the area.
- We conducted a social media poll asking users to vote on which carrel they preferred based on pictures. We received 13 votes.
- We posted flyers with our email address on the carrels asking users to send us their thoughts. There was 1 response.
What did we Learn?
- Users use different furniture depending on the nature of the work they are doing, they want options.
- Dark coloured carrels with higher walls and a top shelf were preferred.
- Users were excited to see that all options had lights, multiple outlets, and USB ports.
- Provide different types of carrels to meet the diverse needs of students
- Purchase dark coloured carrels
- Ensure there are individual carrels that have high walls
- Purchase carrels that have a top shelf
Year of Study: