Guelph Presto Music Club
Collection of program booklets (some are autographed by the performers and artists), minute books, financial statements, newspaper clippings.
A Music Club was first organized on Feb. 23, 1898 as “The Ladies’ Music Club”. In April 1898, the club’s title was changed to “The Presto Piano Club”. The first public concert took place Nov. 28, 1899, in the City Hall with J. D. A. Tripp, a Toronto pianist. At the beginning of the 1906-1907 season, it was decided to have a Choral Club. The result being the altering of the name to the “Presto Choral Club”. The first concert was given in the Opera House in April 1906, with Edward Johnson and Mary Hissem de Moss, Soprano, as the artists. In 1909, no more choral practices were held and the Presto Music Club resumed its formerly planned activities, which consisted of house meetings held at intervals, and many professional concerts held in Carnegie Hall. Also Edward Johnson was honoured guest at the Oct. 9, 1936 concert. The Vogt Choir was founded in Jan. 1928, by Reginald G. Green.